Shots fired at former Rustenburg chief whip’s home
Sanco in North West has condemned a reported attack on the home of former ANC Chief Whip in the Rustenburg local municipality, Happy Serongoane.
|||Rustenburg – The South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) in North West on Tuesday condemned a reported attack on the home of former African National Congress (ANC) Chief Whip in the Rustenburg local municipality, Happy Serongoane.
“We condemned in the strongest terms possible this act of cowardice and call on the community to assist police in their investigations,” said Paul Sebegoe, the provincial chairperson of Sanco, following reports of a shooting directed at Serongoane’s home. No one was injured in the incident.
Sebegoe said there was an alleged attempted break-in and shots were fired through Serongoane’s kitchen door in Monakato outside Rustenburg in the early hours of Tuesday.
Sebegoe said Sanco was concerned about the increase in acts of intimidation and violence that seemed to be related to councillor nomination processes.
“Resorting to political thuggery will not sway our communities to support unpopular candidates.”
Serongoane was removed as council whip in September last year.
African News Agency
* Use IOL’s Facebook and Twitter pages to comment on our stories. See links below.
